Mango sticky rice, known in Thai as khao neow mamuang (ข้าวเหนียวมะม่วง), is one of the most famous Thai desserts. To make it yourself, all you have to do is cook sticky rice, mix it with coconut cream, and serve it with ripe juicy mangoes.
For the rice:
- 1 kg. Thai sticky rice (ข้าวเหนียว)
- 800 ml. coconut cream (หัวกะทิ)
- 150 g. sugar (น้ำตาลทราย)
- 1 tsp. salt (เกลือ)
For the toppings
- 200 ml. coconut cream (หัวกะทิ)
- ⅓ tsp. salt (เกลือ)
- Sweet yellow mangoes (มะม่วงนำ้ดอกไม้)
- 100 g. yellow mung beans (ถั่วเหลือง)
- Rinse the sticky rice 6 – 10 times, making sure most of the starch gets removed and you’re left with clear water. Then soak the rice submerged in water for about 6 hours.
- Using a steamer basket or other type of steamer, steam the sticky rice for about 15 minutes until fully cooked, then set aside.
- In a pot, add 800 ml. coconut cream on medium heat, and stir in one circular direction gentry. Add 150 g. sugar and 1 tsp. salt, and keep stirring and cooking until fully dissolved. When the coconut cream mixture comes to a boil, turn off the heat.
- Put the fresh sticky rice into a mixing bowl, and begin to slowly add in the coconut cream and sugar mixture. You’ll combine all of it, but add it spoon by spoon and work it slowly into the rice. Once all combined you should be left with shimmering sticky rice that’s almost a grainy pudding in texture. Your sticky rice is ready, cover it with plaster so it doesn’t get crusty.
- In a separate sauce pan add the other portion of coconut cream and salt, and stir on low heat. Bring it to a boil, then turn off the heat, and set aside in a bowl. This will be served alongside the mango sticky rice as a topping.
- In a wok or frying pan, using low heat, dry fry the yellow mung beans for a few minutes until they turn golden crispy. Again, set this aside as a topping.
- For the mango, first peel the skin, then cut off the meat from either side of the mango seed, and slice the mango into large bite sized pieces.
- On a plate, first add a portion of sticky rice, top it with mango, sprinkle on some mung beans, and serve the extra coconut cream on the side.