HOW TO COOK T-BONE STEAK
- Let steak sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes before cooking.
- Pat dry the steaks with paper towels.
- Rub the steak with oil, and then season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat.
- Add oil to the hot skillet and add steak when it begins to smoke.
- Sear the steak for 2 minutes for the first side. Flip and sear 2 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, butter and fresh rosemary.
- Transfer the steak to a preheated oven at 425°F (218°C).
- Cook until it reaches the desired doneness.
- Transfer steak to a plate or cutting board and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut steak from the bone to serve.
HOW LONG DO YOU COOK T-BONE STEAK?
Cook time depends on the thickness and your desired doneness. In addition to the 4-minute searing in a skillet (2 minutes per side), you’ll need to bake in the oven at 425°F (218°C) using the following guidelines for a 1-inch thick steak:
|T-bone Steak Doneness (1-inch)||Oven Bake Time|
|Medium rare||2-3 minutes|
You will need to add 2-3 more minutes for each additional 1/2 inch thickness.
HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR T-BONE IS DONE?
Because steak gets firmer as it’s cooked, experienced chefs can test meat by touch. However, as doneness corresponds directly to the internal temperature of the meat, using an instant-read thermometer is the most reliable way to know if it’s done:
|Description||Remove from heat||Final temperature|
|Rare||Cool red center||125°F (52°C)||130°F (54°C)|
|Medium rare||Warn red center||130°F (54°C)||135°F (56°C)|
|Medium||Warm pink center||140°F (60°C)||145°F (63°C)|
|Medium well||Slightly pink center||150°F (66°C)||155°F (68°C)|
|Well done||Little or no pink||160°F (71°C)||165°F (73°C)|