How to Make Split Pea Soup:
- Saute vegetables: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery and saute 3 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Add liquid, peas and herbs: Pour in chicken broth and water. Add split peas, bay leaves and thyme. Season lightly with salt and with pepper to taste.
- Add ham and simmer: Nestle ham bone into soup mixture. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce to low. Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally until peas and ham are tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove ham, rest then chop: Remove ham from soup, let rest 10 minutes then shred or dice meat portion into pieces, cover.
- Add carrots, continue to simmer: Meanwhile add carrots to soup. Cover soup and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until peas have mostly broken down, about 30 minutes longer.
- Return ham: Stir ham into soup, season with more salt as needed. Serve warm garnished with parsley if desired.
Tips and Variations:
- If desired you can add in a couple of yellow or red potatoes when adding the diced carrot to soup to make it even heartier.
- If you notice soup isn’t thickening up how you’d like while cooking you can let it simmer uncovered for the last 20 – 30 minutes to reduced down some.
- Note that soup will thicken as it rests and cools. The following day, if needed, it can be thinned with more water.