For 1 inch thick steak…
Rare: 1½ mins per side.
Medium rare: 2 mins per side.
Medium: About 2½ mins per side.
Well-done steak: Cook for about 4-5 mins each side, depending on thickness.
- Let it rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
- The best steaks to cook well-done are those with the highest fat content, like a porterhouse or rib-eye.
- Thick-cut beef steak(s), at least 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, such as ribeye, strip, porterhouse, T-bone, tri-tip, or filet mignon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil (if finishing on the stovetop)
- 1 tablespoon (15g) butter (if finishing on the stovetop)